Monday, October 18, 2010

Facebook (4) | Power & Light District- A Big Thank You

Facebook (4) | Power & Light District- A Big Thank You:


Power & Light District- A Big Thank You

by Heather Kellam on Monday, October 18, 2010 at 12:04am
Power & Light is the entertainment epicenter as stated on it's website. What they fail to mention is that P&L is extremely discriminatory.

I was up at P&L last night (which is usually were my friends go on Saturday nights). We have never had a problem with ANYTHING especially the security, until now. My boyfriend and I walked into the "Pizza Bar" with no problems and walked to "Lucky Strike". Ordered a drink and then decided to go to "Angels RockBar" because we had never been. However, we were stopped by the bouncer/id checker's near the enterence to Mosaic and were told that we had to leave because "white t-shirts" weren't allowed.

My boyfriend and I were very calm and asked to see the "rules" and we were pointed to the large sign.. specifically the rule about "undergarments". I wasn't aware that a "White T-shirt" or any t-shirt for that matter is considered an undergarmet... we wanted to speak to higher authority about this rule so the security of P&L and KCPD came to talk to us. While explaining the situation and asking if we could return to the bar that let us in (with security walking us of course) the security guards rushed my boyfriend and slammed him against the glass wall. He now has multiple bruses and cuts all over his body. OH.. did I fail to mention that your security guards KICKED my complient boyfriend?

I was also yelled at when I went to pick up his phone (which is now stolen) because I was told by security to stay where I was and not to move. Fearing that I would get assaulted too, I complied, believing that SOMEONE would have picked up the cell phone. Thank you P&L because now we have to wait until Tuesday to get a new phone. My boyfriend also runs a sucessful business from his phone and has important business and personal information on his phone. I appreciate it P&L

Now we are banned from P&L until January and have to go to court because of "Disorderly Conduct" for wearing a white t-shirt that was neither baggy or "Gangster" like. I don't think it's right that your security guards can attack a citizen without due cause. The security guards said "lets go" then proceeded to rush my boyfriend and try to put his hands behind is back and throw him into a glass wall and push him to the floor. Even KCPD had to ask your security guards to let my boyfriend go so he could actually roll over to his stomach to get handcuffed because your security guards were detaining him.

Thank you so much... I really appreciate your no non-sense rules and for protecting the citizens of kansas city from complient white-t'shirt wearing... Oh.. I mean "White Undergarmet" wearing individuals
· · Share

    • Carolyn Ullrich Wow. Rent-a-cops always have something to prove. Hope you are all ok lady.
      9 hours ago · · 1 personLoading... ·
    • Christopher Baynham I've been kicked out of Power and Light twice. Once for sagging in fitted jeans (how does one do that?), and another time for being an accessory to a fight. Although I have been there multiple times after my altercations, I still feel like many people are treated unjustly due to their appearance. In essence, you can't judge a book by its cover, and thats exactly what Power and Light security does.
      9 hours ago · · 1 personLoading... ·
    • Heather Kellam Yes Carolyn we're alright... just pissed off and missing a cell phone because of some ignorance
      8 hours ago · ·
    • T StudioEngineer Gant
      that's the main problem.. they think they are real police officers.. so they need to have to responsibility of taking the fall for stupid shit like the police would have too... i mean wtf.. no cameras in p&l ?? they dont keep any kinda of s...igns.. to show exactly what the dress code is..or what you can't do there.. wtf.. since when can't you have your phone.. and record ish? that's ill they owe for that phone and some pain and suffereing.. it's a bunch of bullshit.. they tryna be assholes.. thinking they run something.. just like when peopel at mcdonalds act like they own the place and you cant get ketchup.. they just need to do they fucking jobs.. and stop fights.. and people who really look sloppy or hammered.. i hate when people think they have more power then they have actually?See More
      8 hours ago · ·
    • Jen Chavez
      Heather- I personally had a bad experience with them as well two years ago on Halloween. I was assaulted by someone, where my shirt was ripped off. Instead of calling the actual police department to further pursue charges against the assail...ant, they kicked him out. I was also kicked out (though obviously I wasn't going to stay!) I wasn't given the opportunity to find the people I came with, as they immediately wanted to brush the incident under the rug. Ultimately, both the person that attacked me, and myself were treated equally! I wish you all luck in pursuing justice!See More
      7 hours ago · ·
    • Geoff Gerling To hell with that place. I'm never going back.
      7 hours ago · ·
    • Heather Kellam Man Jen that sucks!! I just hope that more people comment on this and we can do something about it
      7 hours ago via Facebook Mobile · ·
    • Jen Chavez I wrote and called the higher ups. Needless to say, nothing ever came of it. I can count on one hand number of times I've been back. And it was only for sake of friends. Its about time someone shed a little light on the situations constantly occurring.
      6 hours ago · ·
    • Tyler J. Hand Hey Heather/Clayton....its all gravy...cuzz karma...she can be a real bitch sometimes...so they will get theres one day, the universe always balances itself out.
      6 hours ago · ·
    • LeeAnn Reiff Yea I'm not a huge fan of PandL. My bf never has issues with me, but everytime he's w another black person he gets denied access to certain bars or just denied. What I dont get is ppl can wear tank tops and flip flops and that's "appropriate" attire. That's more of an undergarment...flip flops were origionally made as shower shoes. PandL is so discriminatory.
      6 hours ago via Facebook Mobile · ·
    • T StudioEngineer Gant man the bartenders don't even wear shirts in some of the place.. sometimes no shoes..but that's life.. and it just shows that people ignore it all the time.. cause it takes alot for something to happen..
      6 hours ago · ·
    • Heather Kellam Man the thing that it all comes down to is discrimination... if they think that you're a threat or haver a certain "look" and by "look" I mean "black" they will find a way to kick you out. Its really sad... if they're THAT worried about black people or gangsters why don't they fuckin put a metal detector or pat you down before you go in???
      4 hours ago · ·
    • Femi Aremu Club Envy (or whatever it's called now) is the same way. I've gone there with people who have been turned away because they were wearing 'tennis shoes'. We stuck around for a few minutes and watched people with tennis shoes walk right in. Places like that and PnL won't ever change, and it is sad because I'm certain what happened to you two happens at those establishments often. That's why I don't even go. I hope you get an attorney.
      4 hours ago · ·
    • Clayton Woodgrain Mertz Two birthdays ago, I got kicked out of P&L for sagging. I pull my tucked-in shirt out and showed the guy I wasn't sagging and he said, "I dont care, you have to leave." I sat outside the entrance holding my shirt up and my pants pulled up and shouted "I got kicked out for saggin" about 20 times to everyone walking by. And I had a Gucci Belt on
      2 hours ago · ·
    • Clayton Woodgrain Mertz Makes me want to open powerandlightdistrict.org or .net and have u guys all copy and paste your comments on there. So when someone does a google search for it, we'll be the #2 search result. I have some friends that have had black eyes and cuts from the Security up there.
      2 hours ago · ·

No comments:

Post a Comment